Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

I have two cats who are usually very active, but last night

Customer Question

I have two cats who are usually very active, but last night we sprayed liquid catnip and they went crazy. However today they both seem lethargic and sickly. What could be wrong with them?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry your two cats are not acting like themselves.

I need to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of the situation. This is an 'info request' for which there is no charge. Do not rate until after I've sent my actual 'answer.' Thank you!

How old are they?

Where did you spray the liquid catnip, last night?

What other ingredients are listed on the can? What brand is it?

Do you know if they licked it/ingested it?

Are their pupils dilated at all?

What color are their gums? The should be light pink, unless they're usually black. Are they very pale, like white-ish?

Are the cats eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you with some additional information, but I will send my answer now, and then, if you have any further questions, please click 'reply.'

Because the liquid catnip spray was the only 'new' thing introduced before they both started feeling ill, I would assume that they ingested some of the spray and it's not agreeing with them. Here is more information about cats and catnip:

http://www.petango.com/Blogs/Why-Catnip-Isnt-For-Every-Cat-1824

If their pupils are dilated or don't react to light (become smaller in bright light and larger in dim light) and/or their gums are pale, this could indicate a toxic, allergic or neurological reaction to an ingredient or ingredients in the liquid catnip spray. If they're showing any gastrointestinal symptoms, like vomiting or diarrhea or blood in the stool, they may have ingested a different substance that was toxic or is causing an intestinal obstruction.

Their food may have been tainted and that is causing them to feel ill.

You have to examine everything that they were exposed to or might have inhaled/ingested since last night when they played with the catnip spray, since both cats seem to be affected.

If their symptoms do not improve, remain the same or worsen, they will need to be seen by a vet in person, as soon as possible. Since we're going into a weekend, you may need to bring them to an ER vet center if your regular vet doesn't have weekend or emergency hours.

I hope all will be well with your two furkids!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about my slow response I work nights, one cat is black and the other orange, the orange one has pink nose usually, but it's almost white now. Ill keep monitoring them.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks so much for your reply.

No apologies necessary; I understand if you were working, you couldn't respond to my 'info request.'

If your orange cat's nose is almost white now, this is of concern, because he could be anemic, bleeding internally, or something else could be happening. Do keep monitoring them, but if the orange cat's nose doesn't return to its normal pink, I would consider an ER vet visit as soon as possible.

I hope both your kitties will be fine, and please let me know how they're doing and what the vet tells you, after you bring them in.

I need to sign offline now, for the night, so if you should reply back, I will respond tomorrow (Saturday).

Please kindly rate my answer positively, so I am given credit by the site for my assistance. Thank you so much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher