Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 2 month old kitty got electrocuted in a victor electronic

Customer Question

My 2 month old kitty got electrocuted in a victor electronic rat trap! He was screaming, I ran to find his head and half his body in the zapper, pulled him out, he's now just laying here breathing heavy. I'm too nervous to traumatize him with the long ride to the vet. He's alive I'm so lucky but I want to know if I should take him to the vet or let him rest please
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Mojo. I'm going to be honest and say that my best recommendation is to get him to your vet for them to evaluate him. This type of trap shouldn't be one that causes the electrocution type of injuries that happen when a cat chews a cord and such, but could the trap being on him have caused a choking injury that could cause some non-cardiogenic edema? They can assess him to see if this is possible.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully this is something that hasn't caused a more serious injury and it is something where he is just scared and uncomfortable at this time. I don't like to take chances. I know the trip to the vet isn't always a fun one. Could you let him rest for 15 to 30 minutes at home to see if he gets back to normal? That is an option that some owners will take to see if the situation isn't as bad as it could be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing that came down on his neck, the shock is electronic
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Could he have had his head stuck in the trap at an angle or such that was putting pressure on his neck? That was what I was thinking there. Does the trap actually produce a shock or is it one that just traps them in the trap?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Is this the trap that was involved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aMVIwJQ6k

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the brand, but not that particular one, the black one that is like a tunnel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell his lungs are filling up?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

If the lungs were filling up with fluid, then he would be progressively getting more labored with his breathing. The respiratory rate would be faster than normal. Do you think he could actually get to the plate area where the voltage is at with how far he was in? Some of the traps have more distance into them and barriers to get around to get to that spot so no accidental fingers can get in there to get shocked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he was all the way in except for his hind legs and tail an couldn't move, layer still for about 1/2 hr till he got up and walked a few steps then has been resting this whole time now
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

He was pretty darn determined to get the bait that was in that trap. If he's been out of the trap now for that 1/2 hour and is resting for the most part comfortably and not stressed, then maybe he won't have any further injuries from it. Sometimes the fluid can take a little more time - a few hours or so - to develop - but if he's not acting stressed now, then I would be cautiously optimistic. If he's able to eat and drink and not be stressed, those would be further good signs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's sleeping now, I will keep an eye on him rather than stress him out
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

How is he doing now? If he's still sleeping or resting comfortably, that would be awesome.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm really curious to see how everything turned out with Mojo.