petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cats requires a gastro feeding tube. Is their any reason

Customer Question

My cats requires a gastro feeding tube. Is their any reason a cat would not be a good candidate for a mic key button? It seems to me to be much safer and tidy as well.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sammie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If you need to continue to with nutritional support, a gastrotomy tube is a much better choice as they are very well tolerate by cats and can stay in place for much longer (my own had one for over 3 years). These are referred to as PEG tubes and are similar to what you are referring to. They usually consist of a tube that passes directly through the skin into the stomach which leaves a external tube available for passing soft gruel like food or liquid. In some cases, a low profile tube is used so that there is more a a port versus a tube that allows entry into the stomach. These are easy to place and require a short anesthesia.

Here are a few links with more information:

LINK 1

LINK 2 - bottom of the page

LINK 3

I would talk to you vet about the placement of one of these and if they do not have an endoscope, they may need to refer you to a specialty center for placement.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phyllis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.