Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat got s tail slammed in a door was bleeding a little

Customer Question

My cat got his tail slammed in a door was bleeding a little red tissue showing ...kerps swinging his tail
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it broken will he be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Buster and his tail injury. I am happy to help you this evening. This is a very common injury in cats and is called a tail degloving. The red tissue you see is the part of the tail where the skin has been pulled away from tail. This has to be addressed by your veterinarian. You can have him seen tonight and they can address this tonight if he seems to be in a lot of pain and is bleeding a lot. Or if you can keep him in a small space you don't mind some blood in then you can have him seen by your vet in the morning. Usually nothing is broken with these injuries but just the skin is damaged.

To fix him he will have to be sedated and the damaged part of the tail will be removed and then sewn up to heal. he will need pain medications and antibiotics. These do not heal on their own and will just get infected and make him very ill and will be very painful if just left alone. So you most definitely want to have him seen tonight if possible or tomorrow at the latest.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more bleeding and he was eating ....its late will see when I can get an appointment when I call tomorrow....is there anything I can do for him....he lays down but tail swinging a lot

He swings it just because it is sore. No over the counter pain medications are safe for cats and putting a bandage on it will only bother him more. So there is not a lot to do at home except keep him calm and quiet and in a small space so he doesn't go throught the house through the night

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope they can see him tomorrow at vet thankyou

They should definitely squeeze him in for this. You are welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response for the time I have spent so I receive credit. Thank you!