Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a hair tabi. He is about 3 years old. Today it has

Customer Question

I have a long hair tabi. He is about 3 years old. Today it has been over 103 degrees and our home only has ceiling fans and floor fans. My cat is breathing really hard rapid breathes and keeps gagging but nothing comes out. He keeps his mouth open also. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. I am happy to help you this evening. With him being locked in such a warm home today and the fact he is acting this way it sounds very possible that he is suffering from heat stroke.

It is important to get him treatment to check his temperature, check his hydration and make sure his temperature is normal and comes down to a normal range. So i strongly recommend getting him to your vet or an emergency vet to get evaluated.

Open mouth breathing in a cat is a serious sign and should be examined and treated. Also the gagging with no production can be a sign of heat stroke. Depending on how hot he got will determine how aggressive his treatment will need to be. Usually IV fluids to bring his temp down and for support will help him recover quickly. Blood work should be done to make sure his organs aren't already affected. Also the vet will make sure no obvious changes in his lungs are making him breath this way. Treating him at home is not recommended since it is not exactly obvious what is causing all this.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response for the time I have spent so I receive credit. Thank you!

Hi Diana,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead