Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our 19 year old cat had a kidney infection a couple of

Customer Question

Our 19 year old cat had a kidney infection a couple of months ago and recovered. In the last month she can't digest dry food and sits at her water bowl for long periods of time. She can't gain the weight she lost when she had the kidney infection. I don't know what to do for her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chia. By the principle of Occam's Razor any advanced geriatric cat - particularly with a history of kidney infection - who is now hovering over her water bowel is profoundly dehydrated and in renal failure. She's likely to feel "toxic" at this time - nauseated rather than painful but nonetheless uncomfortable enough not to eat enough and regain her normal weight. Soft stool, inappetence (and vomiting) - additional signs of gastrointestinal distress - are symptoms of chronic renal failure but many other metabolic disorders at her age. In fact, there's more likely to be more than one thing going on with Chia than not.

I understand that you have a difficult decision to make at this time. You can have her blood work performed again and compare the results to those when she was diagnosed with a kidney infection. You can hospice her, instead, by administering subcutaneous fluids at home in an attempt to rehydrate her and reestablish normal homeostasis. You can decide to have the final kindness performed should her weakness and listnessness exacerbate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.