Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have two cats. One is 18 and in very good health - Simba.

Customer Question

I have two cats. One is 18 and in very good health - Simba. He is the bully type and rules the roost (so to speak). The other cat is very shy, female (desexed of course) - Bubsy. The cats have been with me since kittens, and have moved with me and my family about 10 times. Now I am alone and travel a lot. I have neighbours and family who feed them when I am away. Simba has taken to urinating whenever I return and is increasingly fussy about his food (doesn't want the same food) complaining and urinating deliberately in front of me when I don't give him what I think he wants. I give him fresh meat, canned food, biscuits and try and change the food to suit what he wants as much as I can. Most online support says I should get him checked out - but I am not sure what to look for.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, an 18 year old who is urinating as you've described and has become picky about his food needs to be thoroughly examined by his vet. The examination should include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. While his symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder, they do suggest age-related renal and hepatic insufficiency and other metabolic disorders that entail his drinking excessively and then forming more urine than he's used to accommodating in his bladder. He may be marking with his urine out of anxiety for your leaving him but you mustn't begin retraining/reconditioning until you've ruled out medical etiologies for his behavior.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.