Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat, Hannah, a 14 yo domestic short hair has bad

Customer Question

My cat, Hannah, a 14 yo domestic short hair has bad arthritis. When I lived in the Azores Islands there was a medicine that I gave her for her arthritis that helped tremendously. I've been told in the 2.5 years since my return to the US that there is no medication for arthritis in cats. Hannah is exhibiting signs of difficulty moving and lying down. She has started losing weight. She appears fine some days and in pain others. I was told by a vet about a year ago that she would be 'good to go' for another 3 years. The vet recommended fish oil on her cat food and glucosamine chewies, neither of which will she eat.
What can I do for my cat?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Hannah and her arthritis. I am happy to help you this evening. There unfortunately has not been great things developed for cats with arthritis unfortunately. Unlike dogs they cannot take long term anti-inflammatory medications because they cause kidney failure in cats. What I have found to work very well in the majority of cats is a medication that was originally designed for horses then we use it in dogs and now we have started using it in cats and have had success. The medication is called Adequan. This medication is polysulfated glycosaminoglycans which is a medication that is given by injection. It is started twice weekly for a month then twice monthly after that. Your veterinarian will teach you how to give the injections if you are not familiar. A bottle in a cat will last a couple of months so it is well worth the money. I have seen it turn around quite a few cats and just make their quality of life better. I use it in my own 19 year old cat and you can see an obvious difference. This medication helps improve the viscosity of joint fluid and reduces some inflammation in the joint and helps improve the health of the remaining cartilage in the joint. So it is definitely worth a try in your cat. More and more vets are using it in cats but if your vet is not familiar then i recommend getting a second opinion to get it started.

This is a good option and is very safe in cats.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response for the time I have spent so I receive credit. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead