Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our cat is laying under some bushes but does not want to

Customer Question

our cat is laying under some bushes but does not want to come inside. She will talk to us and seems fine but has been camped out there for the night and all day
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I have advanced training in feline behavior and can tell you that most cats behaving as Poppi are on "guard duty"; in other words, they're concerned that another cat has invaded their territory and are prepared to defend it. They will eschew food and water in deference to that duty and so you might have to bring both to Poppi until she decides that she doesn't need to do this any longer or, of course, your husband can bring her back into your house. Be careful doing this as some cats will redirect aggression and so your husband would be at risk for getting scratched and bitten. Once in the house again you might notice Poppi being hypervigilant once again but at least she'll be unable to tangle with another cat and have ready access to her food and water.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.