petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

How do we keep our 6 month old cat from getting on top of

Customer Question

How do we keep our 6 month old cat from getting on top of kitchen counters? We have tried squirt guns and yelling no. She gets right off when she sees us but continues to do it. Nancy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Ahhhhh kittens. Yes they can be a challenge. Having adopted two kittens myself last year I was just recently reminded of how difficult it can be to train them to stay off of counters or away from places you don't want them to go. There are all sorts of deterrents, but some just end up making it a hassle for you, especially on kitchen counters. Here are some products that I found very useful and not obtrusive.

Motion activated compressed air. There are various brands and work very well. They have about a 5-6 foot radius and shoot a spray of compressed air if the cat gets within that range. No harm to them, but they hate it. Here are a few :

sccat cat

the egg

Another option is to just make certain rooms off limits or at least part of the room with an indoor invisible fence.

invisible fence

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.