petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a stray kitten that is laying in the garage limp and

Customer Question

I have a stray kitten that is laying in the garage limp and who keeps arching his head back towards his back. He also keeps opening his mouth and sticking his tongue in and out and occasionally meowing as if in distress. He does not appear to have any wounds of any kind.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Can you tell me how long he has been like this?

Do you have an estimate of how much he weighs?

Is he conscious and aware of his surroundings?

How and where did you find him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a kitten who was born to a stray momma who hangs out at our house some. This started rather suddenly about three hours ago and progressed rapidly. He is only about 3 months old so doesn't weigh much. I wondered if he might somehow have eaten poison of some kind. A little while ago he had a couple of short seizures. Not sure how much awareness he has of surroundings. He has several siblings who are perfectly fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just died.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that. Please be careful in handling him. You may want to contact your local department of public health and see if they would like you to submit him for rabies testing.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It is a long shot, but any pet that dies after showing neurologic signs has to be considered a possible rabies carrying case. You can call a local ER to see if they can help you out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is already buried, and my small community doesn't have a public health department. He has lived in my garage since his birth, and all the other semi-strays that hang out there are perfectly fine, so I doubt it's rabies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he first started having issues, he was shaking his head side-to-side in a regular rhythm, which is what made me look at him. Do you have any other ideas other than rabies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live out in the country and am well-acquainted with rabies and its symptoms. It wasn't rabies.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Being a kitten born to a stray mom, it could be due to any of the other viral diseases. Feline leukemia, Feline aids, Panleukopenia (distemper). Toxoplasmosis has to be on the list also. Any of these can affect neurologic tissue and lead to the kind of signs you were seeing.

Rabies is not out of the question however and you never know what he may have been exposed to. Rabies symptoms are not classic and can present differently in various animals. Just trying to be careful for your protection. I have been a vet for over 30 years and still am alerted to cases where no one thought is could be rabies and it was.