Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Our cat is afraid of everything and all people who aren't

Customer Question

Our cat is afraid of everything and all people who aren't us. Is there any way we can help him to be more sociable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this..... I have owned cats for over 30 years with a multitude of different

personalities and I have studied and read about cat behavior for just as long and I understand your concerns well. But here are the facts kitten personalities are actually determined by the mother. In other words if the mother tends to be shy then the kittens are going to be that way no matter what you do. And no amount of trying to socialize them will help. In fact it can just be more scary for them. The best thing you can do for your cat is to let her be who she is and not force her into anything or it could make her behavior even worse. I hope this helps you and pleas let me know if you need further help. Icheck my computer twice daily and will be glad to get back to you tonight. Most Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But-is there any medication that might help some in relaxing him?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

yes, definitely there is. I would recommend that you speak to your vet about Buspirone. This can work great to help kitties relax. Give that medication at least a month and then if that does not work have your vet try Fluoxetine.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I was checking back with you to see if you have any further questions for me. If you do please leave them here and I will get back with you tomorrow night. If not and you are happy with my service, please accept my answer. Most Sincerely,DRB