petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Past 2 days I've noticed little bloops of tarnish colored

Customer Question

Hi for the past 2 days I've noticed little bloops of tarnish colored stuff on my carpet and floor.. I witnessed my cat vomit this up but awoke this am to some on my bed and witnessed her pooping in the litter box tarnish colored somewhat former stools
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Are you saying that she is passing stools that are firmer than usual?

If you look at this link, can you tell me what score you would use to describe her stool?

LINK HERE

Was she doing any straining in the litter box?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they are looser, and a different color also throwing up, I think she swallowed something but still goes for food and her stools are forming up. No more throw up today... How do you know when you need to bring them in? I'm actually a human doctor so to me the fact she's eating and passing stool is a positive sign there isn't a complete obstruction.. I also felt her abdomen and no guarding. Was more playful this afternoon drinking water still
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, eating is always a good sign, but in some GI conditions, they never lose their appetite. The fact that her stools are firming up and the vomiting has ceased gives you the benefit of monitoring for a little longer. Signs you need to take her in would include decreased appetite, continued vomiting or return of soft stools. Colitis in cats can be intermittent so if they start to get soft again, she may need to have that worked up.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should mention she has a sister that has been acting completely normal. I normally feed them wet and dry food. This morning I woke up to her doing a load of diarrhea/softer stools right next to my head on my bed. I cleaned off her butt in the sink, she was acting normal, then went for food and water this am. She tends to go more for the wet food, I know she gets water through that, so I mixed some water in with the dry food and just put alittle bit of wet food in there and she gobbled that up. Shes a chubbier cat 12 lb tabby short hair. It's labor day, I think if she continues to have this issue tomorrow i can collect a stool sample and try to get her in tomorrow night to the vet. Any other suggestions? would colitis just come on like that? autoimmune? infectious? what is the most common in cats?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It definitely sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many cats with colitis have GI discomfort. Cats are very sensitive and if she associates her litter pan with GI pain, she will most likely not want to go back to the litter pan for stools and she will find other spots in the house.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. In cats, colitis can also be part of the disease process called inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in which we often never identify the cause of the inflammation. Your veterinarian will want to know the history of her signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast her to give her GI system a rest. Since he is an adult, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK.

When they have been going on chronically, these GI disturbances can be frustrating to diagnose and treat and sometimes we don't even find the cause, but concentrate on controlling the symptoms so our pets are comfortable. In her case, since it appears to be an acute flare up, there is no reason to think that it won't resolve completely. Make sure to get in touch with your vet if she is not improving so they can get her treated appropriately and verify that there is nothing else going on to be causing these signs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was very helpful. I wonder if I did this. About 1 month ago I switched them to IAMS wet with the Beyond Purina dry food ( I am a doctor so there's no way I can just give wet food, because when i'm on call they are alone), I switched them back to Friskies pate on Thursday and this is when it started. I thought about keeping them NPO, I think I'm going to make them NPO. I've had these cats since they were 1 day old fed them with a bottle, ect. They are my children! I appreciate the help.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Yes a diet change can set it off, especially if it was an abrupt change. Try bland diet after the fast (don't withhold water) and then slowly wean her back to normal diet over a few days.