Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 15 year old outddor calico started ding in our barn after

Customer Question

My 15 year old outddor calico started hiding in our barn after a thunderstorm and has not come out not even to eat..I have tried to coax her out, but will not. But sshe came out and started walking around. I go near her in there and she moves from me..please advise
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this has been going on for 2 days now
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I see that your question hasn't received attention yet and I'm quite sorry. I think part of the reason is that it's going to be a difficult question to fully answer over the internet. Our job performance as experts is measured by our customer ratings, so sometimes when experts think they might get a bad rating, they'll shy away from a question. If you don't need any info anymore, please just disregard this posting.

Hiding is an extremely vague sign in cats but it can indicate that they aren't feeling well. Other times it's just a behavioral thing - they just don't want to be approached. Some cats are more sociable than others. If they're still eating and drinking well and not showing any obvious signs of illness, I'd give them the space they're asking for. Obviously the only way you're going to be able to tell if there's a true health problem is going to be to catch her up and look at her yourself, and to take her to the vet.

At 15, she's definitely a senior pet, so she could have developed diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease, or cancers, among other things - those are the most common illnesses we see in older cats.

Please let us know how she's doing today :)

~Dr. Sara