Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat has started showing signs of a urinary tract

Customer Question

My female cat has started showing signs of a urinary tract infection. She is going to the box frequently, only urinating a little bit each time. She has had symptoms like these before. Since it is a holiday weekend, my vet will not be open until Tuesday. Can I wait the 2 days to take her in for a urinalysis or should I seek immediate emergency care?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that it does sound like your lass has a urinary tract infection. Now if you have ever had cystitis, you will be able to appreciate that it is a very uncomfortable condition to have. It is not an emergency issue, but it is an urgent one. Therefore, if your vet is not available until Tuesday, then it would be advisable to have your lass seen sooner by the urgent care vet. This way she can be started on antibiotics and kitty safe pain relief sooner. And this will get her comfortable, avoid her starting to pass blood in her urine, and avoid any risk of this infection spreading to her kidneys (which can cause serious issue).

So, while you can try to increase her fluid intake (using low salt chicken broth, cat milk, etc) and try to reduce the urinary irritation using OTC aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store; in this situation it would be best for her to be seen sooner so that the infection isn't allowed to fester and spread within her urinary tract.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeremy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.