petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

How does it take cat urine to breakdown on it own. in other

Customer Question

how long does it take cat urine to breakdown on it own. in other words if i use a enzyme cleaner and miss some spots will the smell eventually go away on its own and how long do you think it could take.
Thanks,
Dale
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

The odor associated with feline urine is very strong and it really depends on how porous the surface is as to how much it is absorbed into. Obviously, less porous surfaces like cement or tile are not going to retain the odor for as long, but carpet and padding or even the wood floor beneath it can retain the odor for quite a long time (years perhaps). It tends to be worse if at any time down the line the area is wet or it is very humid. Even if it appears that the smell has improved, when humid out, it will seem worse.

Nature's Miracle works very well and should help. You do have to be generous with it though. Even if dealing with a more porous surface, it would make sense that if the urine soaked into it, so could the enzyme liquid and have a better effect if there was enough present to neutralize it. IF you did not saturate the area treated, I would retreat.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. But my question is Will the cat urine smell eventually break down and go away on its own if given enough time.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Again, depending on the surface, it may never go completely away, but may become unperceivable to you depending on the sensitivity of your sense of smell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what you are saying is even after 5 or more years it will not decompose and stop smelling I am looking for a scientific ansure
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Scientists have studied of cat urine enough to identify the components that lead to the characteristic odor, but after doing a search of the veterinary network, I was not able to find any studies that would support the idea of how long it takes for those odor causing components to breakdown or decompose. Again that would be determined by variables including the surface involved and the environmental conditions like temperature, humidity, etc. It is very likely that those studies have not been done due to time and cost issues.

Here is a link with information about the components involved but I am turning up empty with any studies for the information that you request.

LINK HERE