Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat at prt of a vitamin supplement this morning and now

Customer Question

My cat at prt of a b vitamin supplement this morning and now her eyes are super dialted
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Was it a multi vitamin with anything else?

It just B vitamins? What milligrams?

Any other signs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
b vitamin only . she had one but not the whole thing. but quite a bit maybe half of the powder
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Do you think she can see normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not sure if she can.. she is in a dark room and her eyes are insanely dialeted
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now the reason I asked about ingestion of other elements here is because there is nothing toxic in B vitamins for cats. As these are water soluble vitamins, cats will jut pass excess in their urine without harm. The only issues we'd expect to see is short term darker yellow urine +/- GI upset. Therefore, pupil dilation would not be expected with this.

Instead, suddenly dilated eyes raise more worries of other issues. We can see this in cats with vision when the are scared/anxious. but if there is any chance she cannot see, then we'd be worried about blindness related to high blood pressure or issues in her brain.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot tell for sure, try turning on the lights to see if they constrict. Or you can try shining a very bright light to see if they react and shrink as they should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you see the pictures i sent you of the ingrediants in the b vitamin and her eyes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her eyes are undialted no matter what the light condition is.. not dialated
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

The photos were just 2 of the vitamins. let me check that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sent you a photo in the next message with her eyes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I see the photo now, and the pupils are pinpoint and constricted.

In the dark, do they appear to dilate at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they do not dialate at all
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Again this doesn't fit with the vitamin at all, but if she has pinpoint pupils that won't respond to light then we'd be worried about possible exposure to neurotoxins (which can be via plants, drugs, medications, etc), head trauma or inflammation within the brain.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

So, while the Vitamin B and its ingredients are a red herring here, we do need to be concerned. And in this case, I would advise that we'd be best to have her checked by your local vet at this stage. If she has brain inflammation, they can treat this, and if neurotoxins are suspect then IV fluids ans symptomatic care would be indicated to counteract this for her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you see anything on the supplement that would cause this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No, I checked all the ingredients listed in the photo but there is nothing in this that would explain what we are seeing. Instead, we'd be worried she has gotten into something else she has not told you about or a possible non-related inflammation within the brain.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she didnt get into anything else and has no head trauma
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If we can rule those out, then we'd have to assume we have an infectious or inflammatory process present here. And we can see this with protozoal, bacterial, viral, and immune mediated conditions. So, I am glad that we can rule out those external factors, but we do have some serious concerns despite that.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it is because of the dosage on the vitamin?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No, as this was one of the safest vitamins she could have had and it is not even a fat soluble one (like vitamins A,D,K), I think the Vitamin B could not physically caused this. In fact, in toxicity studies with Vitamin B in animals, the researchers could not even achieve a toxicity dose since again the body just passes it in urine if overdosed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we are going to look around the house to see if there is anything else she got into
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do let me know if you do find anything suspicious.

-Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be that the b vitamin just made her feel a little anxious and thats why her eyes are undialated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we looked around the house and there is nothing else she could have gotten into
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her feet are also quite a shade redder than normal.. could this be a niacin flush reaction
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

It is not likely related to what we are seeing at all and we do not see niacin flushes in this species.

Dr.B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome,

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.