Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Can I ease my dog's anxiety and pain until I am able to get

Customer Question

Can I ease my dog's anxiety and pain until I am able to get him to a vet in about 6 hours? He has blood-tinged urine and needs to go out every few minutes. He was blood tested this week and it showed low platelets. He has been on renal food for about 10 years. He is almost 17 years old. The vet put him on a new heart medication today and I am wondering if this is the issue? But for now, is there anything I can do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your poor guy. I am happy to help you. If he has low platelets and has blood in his urine then he absolutely needs to be seen. Platelets are responsible for stopping bleeding and if they are to low the body can have spontaneous bleeding internally. So he definitely needs to examined and make sure he is not bleeding anywhere else besides in his bladder. With having platelet, kidney, and heart issues there is very little safe over the counter medications that you can give him. You can try to give him benadryl at 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. This can make him a little sleepy and hopefully relax a little. That is the safest thing to give him to help with this. There are no safe over the counter pain medications for his conditions. He really should be seen as soon as possible though if he is this uncomfortable and because of the concern for bleeding internally.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!