Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

IS THE REASON MY CAT PENNY, MEOWS EXCESSIVELY IN THE MORNING

Customer Question

IS THE REASON MY CAT PENNY, MEOWS EXCESSIVELY IN THE MORNING IS BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO PLAY? SHE SOMETIMES WAKES ME UP AT 3:00 IN THE MORNING!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty is giving you some trouble!

The first thing - if she is not spayed, this is very likely the issue. Intact female cats will stop at nothing to get outside and find a boyfriend. They will cry and yowl 24/7 until they get what they want!

If she is spayed, it's very likely that she wants either: your attention, or: food! Cats are nocturnal, so often they are awake at times that we are sleeping. If she's the only cat in the house (or she isn't really close with the other cats), that means that you are her only buddy, and she is probably saying, "HEY! Get up so we can spend some time together!!!" Alternatively, if you feed her breakfast when you get up, she might be hounding you to get up early to feed her. We joke in my house that my pets begin "campaigning" for dinner a full two hours before we normally feed them - they all jump up and run to their bowls every time we twitch, and otherwise they just sit and stare at us longingly.

You certainly can try playing with her to tire her out before bed, this may help her back off a bit. Sometimes having another cat in the house can alleviate her bugging you, because she'd have a companion to bother instead. (Fair warning, though, sometimes they just gang up on you!).

My own cats were obnoxious about wanting to go outside in the middle of the night, so I do allow them outside. In fact, most nights I encourage them to go out before I go to bed so that they won't wake me. I have accepted the risks of having indoor outdoor cats and have resigned myself to them in order to get some sleep. I protect them as best I can with proper vaccinations and identification, but ultimately, they REALLY want to go outside, and I REALLY want to sleep - so we both take a little risk to get what we want.

~Dr. Sara