Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My kitten has had diarrhea than a month now....I took her to

Customer Question

My kitten has had diarrhea for more than a month now....I took her to the vet and they treated her for hook worms...although she seemed to be getting better, she started with the problem again...she does it on the floor in her litter box.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is she?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?

Did the vet do any tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's about 3 or 4 months old....no blood...looks like off yellow pudding...treated for hook worms and then gave me amoxicillin..used for over 2 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, diarrhea in kittens can be triggered by a number of causes (just as it can with babies). Common causes that we have to consider includes bacteria, viruses (coronavirus, panleukopenia, etc), parasites (GI worms plus protozoa like coccidia, giardia and also cryptosporidia, tritrichomonas), nutritional sensitivities (if this is a quick change to a new diet), stress, and toxins. Of course, with Millie's treatments thus far and the length of time she has been affected, some will be more likely then others.

Now your vet’s initial treatment was a reasonable one. Still, if her stools have not settled, this raises concerns of those issues I noted that were nor treated for as well as possible bacterial agents (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc) that would not be sensitive to that antibiotic used. Therefore, I will outline some supportive care you can start at home to help reduce her diarrhea, but we’d need to consider speaking to her vet about these other agents and testing for them.

Therefore, to start, for the short term you can consider trying her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken,white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. The aim of these is that they are easy to digest and therefore result in less material to end up in her diarrhea.

Further to this, since you've seen no blood in her stools, you can consider trying her today on a kitten safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if an infectious agent is causing her diarrhea. Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI to settle any upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) available from your local pharmacy. (Do avoid Pepto Bismol and Imodium, as these are not cat friendly). Furthermore, Fast Balance, Propectalin, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last few have the bonus (and thus ideal here for Millie) of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.

Overall, the initial treatments that were used are common ones that do target the most common causes of kitten diarrhea. Still, if she hasn't settled, then this tells us that there is still an ongoing issue. Therefore, we can use the above but it would be ideal to submit a fresh fecal sample for testing at the local vet lab. This often will give us the answer to what is causing her diarrhea. And once we know, we can target this properly to get her settled and back to passing normal stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.