Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat can't urinate or possibly deficate. she goes to the

Customer Question

my cat can't urinate or possibly deficate. she goes to the litter box every few moments with no results. she keeps flexing her behind but no luck she did do both this morning,but nothing since
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Kacey and her bathroom issues. I am happy to help you this evening. Since she is trying to go to the bathroom and is unable to produce this is considered an emergency and she should be seen immediately by an emergency vet. They must determine if she can't urinate or if she can't defecate and treat as necessary. If she can't urinate they have to see if she is blocked due to a stone or something or if her bladder is empty and she keeps trying to urinate due to irritation caused by inflammation and infection. If she can't defecate they must determine if this is because she is constipated. Then they can treat as necessary. Unfortunately if you wait until morning she will be miserable all night trying to use the litter box and then depending on the cause this can be life threatening. So again having her seen is extremely important.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead