Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Calico year and a half old has stomatitis. Had one tooth

Customer Question

calico year and a half old has stomatitis. Had one tooth pulled and teeth and gums cleaned under anesthesia. Have been told removal all teeth inevitable but puzzling that cat still eats both soft and hard food and plays using her teeth. No foul breath. No drooling. Gums around teeth still red but inner mouth is not. Want to try argentyn 23 applied directly to teeth and gums. Anything else recommended?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm sorry Betty isn't well... Stomatitis can be a very serious issue in cats and it can be quite painful. In many cases, stomatitis is caused by plaque accumulation on teeth and removal of teeth is necessary for complete resolution. There are other treatments and efficacy depends on an individual case; it's natural, I think, to look for treatments alternative to those recommended in the desire to help more quickly and without going through invasive measures. In this situation, I would caution you because many treatments that are suggested for a condition like this are not only ineffective but may be harmful. For example, Argentyn is a colloidal silver product that can be quite toxic when ingested, so I would definitely advise you against applying it directly to the gums/teeth. Raw meat diets are not helpful in management of stomatitis either, in fact, the raw meat (regardless of preparation or preservation methods) can harbor pathogenic bacteria (e.g. E.coli, campylobacter and salmonella) increasing chances of intestinal infection and transmission to humans; there are many well documented cases of intestinal illness associated with feeding raw meat diets, in pets and in humans that use these diets.

Here is a link to some information on stomatitis: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=170

And this link contains information on available treatments: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1323

I hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene