Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 14 year old cat who just lost the use of her back

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old cat who just lost the use of her back legs. Her gums are white and she squawks when she breathe.
I will be taking her to my vet in the am ,but could I give her some Ativan to settle her for the night
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Is there any possibility of Annie being seen at a veterinary ER? If her gums are white she's profoundly anemic and at risk of dying tonight. I suspect her "squawking" is due to the extra effort she's making to oxygenate herself which is failing because she doesn't have the red blood cells to carry that oxygen.

To answer you directly, yes, lorazepam (Ativan) has been dosed to cats at a practical dose of 0.125 to 0.25 mg/cat. Even this usually safe benzodiazepine could be life-threatening in such a compromised patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.