Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I'm hoping you can help us. We have a pure breed Burmilla

Customer Question

Hi, I'm hoping you can help us. We have a pure breed Burmilla Cat named Monte he is 5 1/2 years old, he is a house cat, so he has never been outside. Just recently the neighbours have got a black male cat, and he is often in our yard and jumping up on the window edges. Monte has been getting very tormented over this and goes really wild, hissing fat tall and shaking, you can not go anywhere near him when he is like this as he also attacks you. It is really frightening and we think it is really stressing him out. Is there any way we can resolve this? many thanks Sandy Carlton Perth
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Monte today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is Monte a neutered male? Do you know if the neighbors cat is neutered as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they both are

Okay thanks for the further information. You do have a couple of options that you can try to see if you can decrease this behavior. Is the neighbor's cat engaging or responding to Monte's behavior? One approach is to try to see if you can try to modify the environment if possible. If there is anyway you can put a cardboard or something to block Monte from seeing the neighbor's cat when he happens to jump on the window sill. Another technique is try to see if you can deter the neighbor's cat from coming on the property using any type of repellents or setting up cat proof barriers. I don't know if it is even an option to ask your neighbor if they can keep their cat indoors or assist in keep the cat away from your house.

You can also try to see if you can keep Monte in a calming mood prior to him seeing the neighbor's cat. There are a couple of options for this. One is trying to use a pheremone. A popular pheremone that I use in cats is called Feliway. It comes as a diffuser or a spray and in some cats can help decrease anxiety and aggression.

Another option is to put Monte on an anti-anxiety medication The most common medication used in cats include a drug called Amitryptylline and another drug called Buspar. If Monte goes on these drugs it will be important that lab work performed to monitor liver and kidney function.