Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8 year old cat is suffering from FeLV and FIV. Because of

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat is suffering from FeLV and FIV. Because of a tumor in the spine he is paralyzed in the hind legs and also paralyzed in the jaw. He cannot close his mouth. He cannot eat food. He cannot drink. He drools all over himself and the acidity from his saliva is burning the hair off his chest and his legs. He is visibly suffering but I live in Thailand. As it is a Buddhist country, they do not believe in putting cats to sleep so if I want to end my cat's suffering I will have to do it myself. Any vet will refuse to put my suffering cat to sleep. I have a prescription of lorazepam. I was thinking of giving him a high enough dose to render him unconscious and then use a plastic bag to asphyxiate him while unconscious. Reading about suicide in terminally ill humans this seems to be the recommended most humane way to go. Have you got a recommendation?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, there is no way to humanely euthanize at home. The only humane option is by giving an injection of Euthanasia Solution (sodium pentobarb) IV. If you give a sedative, like Lorazepam, he'll either end up a bit sleepy or he'll have an adverse reaction and be agitated and over-active. That's what happens when we overdose these valium type drugs in cats.

The only other approved at home euthanasia, is a well placed gunshot wound to the brain. I would never recommend somebody shoot their own cat, but that's the only other option. Any other pharmaceutical option will lead to suffering for hours or days before the cat dies.

I'm sorry again for this situation, but I'm afraid there is really nothing you can do other than finding a vet to do the euthanasia.