Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 year old cat is acting strange he's kind of drolling

Customer Question

my 11 year old cat is acting strange he's kind of drolling at time's and he look's out of it i'm very worryed please help
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about Azzy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you have waited until now for an expert.

How is he now; do you still need help with him?

Is he eating, and drinking? Do his eyes appear dilated? Are his gums pink, not pale, in color?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello and thank you for responding my cat is eating but only broth and he has had some water but his eye's seem to be dilated and he's kind of drooling and the tip of his tounge is sticking out of his mouth
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I believe you have opened multiple questions about Azzy.

I said in one of those previous questions that this sounds serious. You said on your other question that his gums are pale, and that is a sign of possibly serious illness, such as anemic, infection, internal organ dysfunction.

If he is not eating, only drinking, that also indicated serious illness. Cats sometimes only tell us they are sick when they won't eat their food.

At home, all you can try to do for him is keep him hydrated with broth and water. What he needs is a good physical examination: feeling his pulses, internal organs, lymph nodes; taking his temperature; listening to his heart and lungs.

The dilated eyes could be from contact with a toxin or drug. Sticking his tongue out of his mouth also indicates possibly serious illness.

You said that you will do whatever it takes to help him; what he needs is to see a veterinarian, have a good physical exam, and see if he is anemic, has a fever, or has any dysfunction or illness of his internal organs. If this were my own cat, I would not be trying to treat him at home.

Please continue to repond here and do not open more new questions.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Guy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Azzy. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Azzy doing?