Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Kitten has an eye infection. A area of s eye is

Customer Question

My Kitten has an eye infection. A area of his eye is proturding creatinga beady appearance. He also has been sneezing and drinking less. My vet said his eye may need to be removed. Could this be an infection
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They tried stitching his thrid eye lid but that didnt work. I also have eye drops i put in twice a day. they start with an O and are 3% i believe.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Most eye problems in cats, especially kittens, are due to an infection. Usually, it is a herpes virus until proven otherwise. Even with the herpes infection, the eye can develop secondary bacterial infections. That protrusion usually signifies a deep ulcer where part of the cornea or inner part of the eye is protruding. Those can be extremely serious and risk the integrity of vision and the eye. Usually there has been some type of trauma involved when it gets that bad. If your vet hasn't talked to you about potential referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist, I would definitely discuss that and see if there is one in your area. They may need to actually debride some of that tissue off the eye. It may help to use MURO 128, which is an over the counter osmotic diuretic that helps to pull the excess fluid off the cornea and allow it to heal better. Your vet may also want to consider using autogenous serum eye drops as well. This is where they pull blood, spin it down to get the serum and use it as eye drops. It carries a lot of natural immunity, and I have seen it heal up some pretty bad ulcers. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the MURO 128 like the kind that humans can use? Or is there a special version for cats
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

It is the same thing that humans use. 5% solution. 1-2 drops 3-4 times daily.