Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our cat has one pupil that wont dilate - it is very small,

Customer Question

our cat has one pupil that wont dilate - it is very small, the other eye is largely dilated?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This condition is called anisocoria, where one pupil is large and the other is small. In a young cat like this, the most common cause would be pain in the eye with the small pupil. Pain in the eye can lead to a constricted pupil. We can also see some cloudiness behind the cornea. This is often times due to a viral infection in the eye (usually Herpes) and often times an ulcer to the cornea.

The treatment is with drops to help with the discomfort and to help the corneal ulcer heal up. I typically use Neo-Poly-Gram drops or Erythromycin drops in cats. We can also use anti-inflammatory drops (Flurbiprofen) or anti-inflammatory meds (Onsior or Metacam).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?