Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Stray cat we've been feeding looks like she's been in a

Customer Question

Stray cat we've been feeding looks like she's been in a fight. Her jaw appears misaligned. She was bleeding but it has stopped. She is eating and drinking well. (We gave her canned food so it was soft) she's been purring when petted. She still seems to be unable to completely close her mouth, as she is drooling, like she can't totally keep the saliva in. What more can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, based on your description of Millie's jaw, I do not think she has been in a fight. This is because that jaw sounds to be fractured (possibly at the midline, hopefully no where else). This is a very common sign we see when cats have been hit by cars. So, this would be our concern her for her. And while soft food is good to use here (so do continue that and even consider pate style kitten food to get more nutrition into her), I have to warn you that this is a situation where she is going to need to have her jaw fixed. If we don't she will continue to not be able to close it (which is why she is drooling), and often these cats will start to drop weight due to just not being able to eat properly and this can lead to secondary infections and health issues.

Now I do appreciate she is a stray, therefore you have a few options. You can consider taking over her care and having her seen at this stage. Often these cases need xray but a simple midline fracture can often be fixed quite easily by the vet wiring the jaw into alignment. Of course, if there are more breaks in the rest of the jaw, the situation gets more complicated. Otherwise, if you didn't want to take on her care, it'd be highly advisable to either contact your local pet rescue to help her or even consider taking her into the vet as a stray (where they may be able to asses the jaw, get her into one of the local charities they work with, and then get it fixed for her). But in all cases, we cannot leave this as it is, since it won't improve if left, will be sore, and could lead to complications for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )