Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What is the difference if any btwn the feline shot: FVRC-P

Customer Question

What is the difference if any btwn the feline shot: FVRC-P and DRC?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

There is no difference in the components of the vaccines. FVRCP stands for feline viral rhinotracheitis (aka herpes)/calicivirus/panleukopenia. DRC stands for distemper (the layman's term for panleukopenia)/rhinotracheitis (again herpes)/calicivirus. So, they do cover against the same viruses that we need to protect our cats with. The only caveat to this is that these will be made by different companies. If Maddie is 13 years old and has been vaccinated in the past, using strains from other companies won't likely cause much issue. But for kittens, we tend to shy away from using these interchangeably during their first year of vaccines since that can lead to issues with poor immunity development. But otherwise these are just different vaccine company names for the same type of feline vaccine.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )