Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I took my cat to the vet due to infection. He got

Customer Question

Hi, I took my cat to the vet due to infection. He got antibiotics and is getting better. In the meantime, to help him, I gave him so garlic oil a few times thinking it would make him stronger!!! I now read that this could KILL him. It said he will need immediate treatment. What is the treatment? Is it the antibiotic?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While garlic is in the genus Allium which includes onions, leeks, scallions, shallots, and chives and this genus can cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, it takes quite a bit for this to happen - likely far more than Scooter received. For example, it took 2.3 grams of whole garlic per pound of body weight given orally daily for 7 days for anemia to develop 9-11 days after dosing. That's equivalent to approximately 2/3 of an ounce of whole garlic daily for 7 days for a 10 lb cat. How much oil are we talking about, please?