petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat got groomed first time a few weeks ago, and he's been

Customer Question

My cat got groomed for the first time a few weeks ago, and he's been chasing his tail since. At first it was cute, but now he's biting it. Severely. No blood yet, but something is irritating the tail bad enough. It hurts him enough that he can barely leave the soft blanket on the bed. It's mostly the tip of the tail, but he's been holding it rather stiffly lately.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If this has all occurred since the grooming, it is very likely that something happened then that set this off. Perhaps the tail got tugged on and there may be an injury to one of the vertebra in the tail. Or he may have experienced a cut or even clipper burn that is irritating the skin. If it is that painful, I doubt he will let you look at it, so he will very likely need sedation in order for a thorough evaluation of it.

I would schedule an exam with your vet. They may even need to xray to look for signs of injury to the small vertebral bones. If not anything else, it sounds as if he needs some pain relief. I would not offer any of the over the counter pain relief medications as they are not safe for use in cats.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z