Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Can a cat live without ears?

Customer Question

Can a cat live without ears?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean one that is born without ears?

One that needs to have the ear tips removed?

Or one that needs the whole canal removed (usually due to cancer or recurrent chronic infections)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cat has purple bumps in his ears, he is nine years old & does have an ear infection at this time. My vet said if they don't clear up they will biopsy. If it's cancer he said a cat can't live without ears. I've seen them survive on animal planet. Please help me, I've had so many deaths in my family. I can't loose him too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to speak to a doctor!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May need the ear canal removed. Is this a real website or false? You claim you can speak with a doctor. If one is busy get another one!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am a veterinarian and was actually waiting for your reply.

Now that you have, I will compose my thoughts based on the information you have provided.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have now reviewed your multiple replies.

In regards ***** ***** situation, if the masses are cancerous, you have 2 options. First, you can leave the ears as they are, use pain relief/antibiotics as needed to keep him comfortable for his lifetime. Otherwise, as long as your cat is healthy, you can have a surgeon remove the masses or even ear canal if the masses are too extensive. If your vet is not confident they can do this, then you can request a referral to a specialist surgeon for the surgery. And this would be worthwhile considering since cats can live without ears and ear canals. These are not critical organs. He may need to be kept indoors due to hearing loss but if they can resect the cancer fully, then it can be curative.

So, this is an option for your lad. That said, if your vet isn't keen then you may need to have this tested and then have him referred for the surgery if it does prove to be cancerous.

Please take care,

Dr. B.