petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I think my cat has a tract infection. her ears are hot and

Customer Question

i think my cat has a tract infection. her ears are hot and she keeps going to the kitty liter not sure if she is going to the bathroom or not
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

When was the last time that you saw her pass urine or stool?

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Is she straining at all in the litterbox or just walking in and out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw her this morning. Then I felt her ears and noticed they were hot. I heard her in the liter again at least 3x before I left for work and when I go in she runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seamed to be fine running around like usual so I am hoping that it isn't anything to serious.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Cats that are frequenting the litter box can have a urinary tract infection, but can also be experiencing discomfort for other reasons including anal gland disorders, GI disorders and other urinary tract disorders besides infection (sterile inflammation of the bladder, or bladder stones.) It can be deceiving to use warm ears as a measure of an elevated body temperature. I have been fooled myself by this.

I would suggest that you monitor her litterbox habits and if this continues, have her examined by your vet who will be able to check a urine sample and/or stool sample as well as her anal glands to better rule out the cause.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z