Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat keeps throwing up, but she is perfectly fine

Customer Question

My cat keeps throwing up, but she is perfectly fine afterwards. Nothing else is wrong with her. Is this serious?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add on, my cat is perfectly healthy and active. Catches the occasional mouse (Like once every few months). And stays indoors. Yet it seems like she can't hold her food down. I've tried swtiching, but she keeps throwing up.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. To answer you directly, yes, its potentially serious. Cats who chronically vomit usually end up diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) - an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. It's certainly not the only possible cause of vomiting in cats; in fact, there are more possible etiologies of vomiting than could be listed in this venue. A food intolerance, foreign body ingestion, chronic pancreatitis, and neoplasia (cancer) are some of the more common differential diagnoses.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Cappi thoroughly examined by her vet including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. In nothing untoward is found, abdominal ultrasound should be considered because it's quite sensitive in detecting the tell-tale inflammation of IBD and its sequela small cell lymphoma. When such testing is still noninformative we can proceed to scope and biopsy our patient's GI tract or take a more conservative tack and see if a presumptively hypoallergenic diet is of value. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Cappi's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?