Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My haired cat has a place where several extra hairs are

Customer Question

My long haired cat has a place where several extra long hairs are growing all at the same spot. Is this anything to worry about?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Pumpkin. Where is this place where the few extra long hairs are growing? Is the area thin in the fur too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outside right shoulder area...all other fur including surrounding fur looks normal
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Can you feel any lumps or bumps in the skin in that area? Is the skin thicker than normal? Any chance of taking a picture of the area for me to see it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
small bump where all the hairs are growing from
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took picture with cell ...what number to send?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Can you post it here with the paper clip icon? I don't have a specific number to have it sent too. The bump may be the reason for why these hairs are longer. When hair follicles grow in areas of moles or other benign like lesions on the skin, the hair follicles can produce a hair out of that follicle that is more in length or thicker or different in color.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I can't connect my phone to the internet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is ok. I would be most suspicious that the hair follicles in that bump are being affected by it and that is why the hairs are being of a longer nature. If this bump was sore, getting bigger, draining or discolored - then getting it aspirated by your vet would be a good idea. At this point, it doesn't sound like the most critical of situations at this time.