Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat stopped eating approximately 5 days ago and I took

Customer Question

HI. My cat stopped eating approximately 5 days ago and I took her to the vet and she has lost 2 pounds in 3 months. Yesterday she became extremely lethargic and today her pupils are constantly dilated. Blood was ok except low BUN. Vet thought it may be pancreas. Do I need to take her in today (urgent care) or wait until tomorrow when she can have an ultrasound on her pancreas?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 4 year old girl Jenevieve. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms are very interesting, and it could definitely be that Jenevieve has a primary pancreatic issue here. Hopefully your vet can rule the pancreas in or out as to whether it could be causing her weight loss and lethargy. The degree of lethargy you have mentioned is definitely an immediate worry, and the dilated pupils could be as such for a number of reasons including anything from pain, to a blood pressure issue, or a primary opthalmic problem.

Because Jenevieve is so lethargic, I would really encourage you to get her seen tonight and to have monitoring overnight until the scan can be done. The ER vet tonight can check your girl's blood pressure and use direct and indirect opthalmic exams to get an understanding as to why her pupils are so dilated right now. For now, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above - if you can get her seen tonight and leave her for care and monitoring overnight, that really would be the best plan given these symptoms, in my opinion. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Jenevieve? I hope things have settled for her now and that she is back to normal?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E