Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Are you giving her fluids from the vet at home?
Did your vet indicate if she was constipated? It sound like she might be or headed that way based on the hard stool that you have seen. Have you seen her pass a bowel movement since she started the pumpkin?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
As far as the fluids, I would stick to what your vet told you was an ok amount to give and not give extra.
As far as feeding, I would offer her what ever she wants to eat and ate readily before. What ever that is, I would try to enhance it a little with some broth or warm water to make it as soupy as she will allow. This will also increase her fluid intake and help her stools. Offer something that has a strong aroma (and warm it a little) to get her attention. The jarred meat baby foods are often well accepted, but just make sure they do not contain any oniln or garlic. You can also add in a little human food such as boiled chicken pieces or tuna.
Once you can get her to accept food a little better, you can try adding a little of the human product called Miralax (powder) to her food. I would start with 1/8 to 1/4 tsp and use to effect. This product works by drawing water into the stool and making it softer and easier to pass.
If she is still not eating or not looking well, it would really be best to have her re-evaluated by your veterinarian.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
I would tell your father to clean out the puncture site well with soap and water and I would refer the question to his physician when they are next open or he can call an ER hospital (for humans) to get their advice.
Great. Keep me updated as to how things are going later.
I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. When you are ready to provide any follow up, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.
I am sorry but I logged off just before your reply.
Hopefully she is better by now or you have sought help for her with her veterinarian. I can 't tell anything in the picture except that she looks like she doesn't feel well. If she hasn't been evaluated by a vet last night or this morning, that is what I would suggest that you do. It is possible she is constipated and needs a manual evacuation.
I would not offer milk. It can upset her stomach and GI tract.
Great. I'll be on and off line all day.
That is not good news at all, and if there is a mass, it could certainly explain the fluid. A second opinion is always a good idea if in doubt. I really can't comment on her stability for surgery as I have not examined her or reviewed her medical history. Good luck with her.
I don't think she is in pain, but probably very uncomfortable/anxious about not being able to take a deep breath.
Not sure if surgery will help as it depends on what the mass is.
It is probably the diuretic doing it's job that made her urinate.
If the mass is in her chest, is in her chest, you can't feel it, but if it is in her abdomen, you may be able to.
That sounds like a reasonable plan.
That should make her feel better.
I am sorry but I cannot take a phone call at this time. I will be happy to continue in this way however. You will probably not know much today until the fluid analysis comes back.
hmm...that is strange because I didn't call you either. I'll look forward to hearing what they find.
There is not much you can do for her. If you are not home, she might do better with someone watching over her at the vet clinic.
I am sorry but these questions are best answered by the vet who is treating her as I have not had the advantage of examining her or reviewing her medical record. I am sorry for the bad news and hopefully they will be able to help you keep her comfortable as long as you can.
Again, without a full review of her medical history and the lab results, I cannot accurately answer this. I would refer your questions about that to the vet who did the testing and if there are any further questions about treatment options, they can refer to an oncologist.
Yes, that would be hard on her. Based on the labs and the elevated values, it looks like she is experiencing some degree of kidney disease or dehydration or a little of both. You would need a urine sample to confirm, but it is somewhat expected in a cat of her age. Chemo, if even an option, would likely be harder to deal with for her.
I know. It tough when there is not much you can do.
If you have any questions about this down the road, yes come back to this link. You can log back into the site and go to the "my questions" section to reply at any time even after you have provided a rating. I will receive an email if you do and can respond after that.
I am glad I could help and sorry that there is not more I can offer.