petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is 21. Never goes outdoors bThese last few days she

Customer Question

My cat is 21. Never goes outdoors bThese last few days she gotta very skinny in the rear. Not playing or poopin much but it's hard as a rock if she does poop. Doesn't want to do anything but sleep. But still alert eats and drinks. Took her to the vet. Said wbc slightly elevated and beginning of kidney issues. She's on IV NOW FOREVER to hydrate and Clavamox for infection. She's only taking these 2 days so far but is looking worse. Doesn't have arthritis or anything but when she jumped off my bed she fell back. I don't know what to do I feel like something else is wrong. My main concern is my friends dog who loves and kisses me all the time had something similar happen about 2 weeks ago. The dog was rushed to be hospital after a week he wasn't moving. Was givin a shot and antibiotics and is now better. I'm not sure what the dog had but could I have carrier it to my cat? If not how can I help her??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also started giving her Libby's pumpkin pie filler which she will hardly eat. I know something else is wrong with her. She's getting worse. She doesn't walk with arthritis nor have it but u could see she's distressed middle to lower back area. And never liked her lower left side touch. What do I do and what else could she possibly have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She even stopped purring
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Are you giving her fluids from the vet at home?

Did your vet indicate if she was constipated? It sound like she might be or headed that way based on the hard stool that you have seen. Have you seen her pass a bowel movement since she started the pumpkin?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and thank you very much for getting back to me :-)! Yes the vet gave me fluids to give her at home and I'm on day number three with it. She hasn't pooped again and she only ate the pumpkin filler once she refuses to eat it now again and my other cat won't even look at it which is her sister. The vet said he felt some stool still in her And that the flu which should help to but she didn't poop today and only that hard nugget in my bed next to me that she slept on top of :( This morning she actually looked a little better but I'm at work right now and I can't wait to go home to be with her I feel like I don't want to leave her alone because last night going to bed she did not look well at all. She's very active and usually meows and doesn't shut up all day long and right now she's the exact opposite. Is there anything other than the pumpkin pie filler that I can give her to eat because she won't need it anymore ? And do you think something else is wrong with her ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also with the IV she squirms and I almost harder with the needle so she only got half a ml versus the full milliliter.... Is it OK to give her a milliliter and a half today or just stick to the milliliter
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

As far as the fluids, I would stick to what your vet told you was an ok amount to give and not give extra.

As far as feeding, I would offer her what ever she wants to eat and ate readily before. What ever that is, I would try to enhance it a little with some broth or warm water to make it as soupy as she will allow. This will also increase her fluid intake and help her stools. Offer something that has a strong aroma (and warm it a little) to get her attention. The jarred meat baby foods are often well accepted, but just make sure they do not contain any oniln or garlic. You can also add in a little human food such as boiled chicken pieces or tuna.

Once you can get her to accept food a little better, you can try adding a little of the human product called Miralax (powder) to her food. I would start with 1/8 to 1/4 tsp and use to effect. This product works by drawing water into the stool and making it softer and easier to pass.

If she is still not eating or not looking well, it would really be best to have her re-evaluated by your veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try these things and Ty!! And anothwr very important question!! after we gave her the intravenous yesterday my father stuck him self with the needle and he was bleeding and he's very concerned that he has to go to a doctor or get medical attention because he stuck himself with a dirty cat needle ...what should my dad do?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I would tell your father to clean out the puncture site well with soap and water and I would refer the question to his physician when they are next open or he can call an ER hospital (for humans) to get their advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty!! I'm gonna try the baby food! And broth stuff. I've read that cats can't taste sweet so that's y I thought she didn't want the pumpkin. But otherwise she is eating and drinking normally which I'm happy about!! I've tried to add vitamins for the vet I to their food in the past but they want. Irving to do with it. All I know is my cats are sisters and both 21 so I must be doing something rite!! :)
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Great. Keep me updated as to how things are going later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will and Ty so much it was wonderful chatting with u and u made me feel a lot better about everything and gave me more hope!!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. When you are ready to provide any follow up, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omg she is worse!! I got home gave her antibiotics and the IV. We managed to give her half a dose because she was squirming and I was going to hurt her with the needle. When I came home she made a very very hard poop on my bed . She looks very bloated and like panting slightly to me. Won't purr and stares into space. She would not eat the baby food and not even treats. I'm. It home to see if she is peeing. I have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes and I think they r both peekng
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like maybe she has a blockage or something. :( I'm not sure. She has no energy at all. Even though she's 21 she looks very young and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent u pictures she's not fat at all. 6 1/2 pounds and she looks very swollen and distended and uncomfortable and miserable to me!!!! What can this be?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I logged off just before your reply.

Hopefully she is better by now or you have sought help for her with her veterinarian. I can 't tell anything in the picture except that she looks like she doesn't feel well. If she hasn't been evaluated by a vet last night or this morning, that is what I would suggest that you do. It is possible she is constipated and needs a manual evacuation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning! My vet opens at 10. I'm gonna take her in today. She could walk fine if I make her get up. But otherwise has no desire to move. I put baby food in with her Rey food and she wouldn't eat it :( I carried her to the litter box and she went in and peed a lil tg!!! She still does not look well. I will get back to u after the vet. I'm also gonna go tongue pet store and buy broth food. I read on line maybe I should try real milk? Should I?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I would not offer milk. It can upset her stomach and GI tract.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I won't then. I'm still hopeful. I am no doctor but I think this has to do with constipation. Idk no just can't stop crying. Well I will let u know what happens
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Great. I'll be on and off line all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did a chest X-ray. It showed a large mass/ tumor and fluid in her lungs. He showed me the X-ray. Your couldn't even see her heart. He is surprised she is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom. There was no poop in her colon. He wasn't to me to take her off the antibiotic and the IV and just keep her comfortable and not letting her use more lung capacity then she needs. He said because of her age he wouldn't do surgery. He gave her a diuretic to help get fluid out he said. And to bring her back when she is panting and breathing with her mouth open. I'm taking her for a second opinion. I feel there is something we could do and I think she's strong enough for surgery!! I M devastated what do u think? I have an appointment in 3 hours
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

That is not good news at all, and if there is a mass, it could certainly explain the fluid. A second opinion is always a good idea if in doubt. I really can't comment on her stability for surgery as I have not examined her or reviewed her medical history. Good luck with her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty!! Up until a week ago she was as spunky as a 5 year old cat. Very verbal and active. Everything about her looks young still to me. From what I described do u think she's in pain? I couldn't imagine suffercating to death :( but surgery on a younger cat with this condition would help?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I don't think she is in pain, but probably very uncomfortable/anxious about not being able to take a deep breath.

Not sure if surgery will help as it depends on what the mass is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know what happens later after I get a second opinion
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's been laying on my bed since 23. I just picked her up to bring her downstairs to eat. She drank some water. Walked in my dining room. And took the biggest pee pee on my dining room rug! I should have brought her to the litter box first :( she won't eat now though. Now when I pick her up j feel like I could feel the mass in her.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It is probably the diuretic doing it's job that made her urinate.

If the mass is in her chest, is in her chest, you can't feel it, but if it is in her abdomen, you may be able to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the 2nd opinion now. They're doing X-rays again. The other vet wouldn't release them... She said if fluid is outside the lungs she could extract with a needle and she would feel better breathing. but we have to see the X-ray first. And then she would send out for a test on the fluid extracted.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a digital X-ray showed no large mass but fluid around the lungs just a small lil mass. She's extracting the fluid now and sending it to the lab then re- xraying to see what the lungs look like adter
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

That should make her feel better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot take a phone call at this time. I will be happy to continue in this way however. You will probably not know much today until the fluid analysis comes back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't try calling you my phone rang from u and then it hung up. It was strange. Lol. She still seems the same. I'm gonna hope for the best. I will let u know what the fluid results are but she's just not ok
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

hmm...that is strange because I didn't call you either. I'll look forward to hearing what they find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Results will probably be in on Thursday. What can cause fluid buildup around the lungs?? She purred for 10 seconds this morning. She drank and are a little. But sat there in a fog again. How can I make her more comfortable?? She wants someone watching her constantly. But I'm at wk and feel terrible. What should I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thisnisbwhat they extracted from her.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

There is not much you can do for her. If you are not home, she might do better with someone watching over her at the vet clinic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was so hopeful. I got the results from the fluids. Says cancer cells in lungs. She's says she has a few days or a week or two of I'm lucky. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Is she gonna die from the cancer of the fluid building up again and she can't breathe? How will I know if she is suffering?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but these questions are best answered by the vet who is treating her as I have not had the advantage of examining her or reviewing her medical record. I am sorry for the bad news and hopefully they will be able to help you keep her comfortable as long as you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's said their were carcinogens and some cancer cells. Is there nothing to help this?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Again, without a full review of her medical history and the lab results, I cannot accurately answer this. I would refer your questions about that to the vet who did the testing and if there are any further questions about treatment options, they can refer to an oncologist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess then Ty for all your advice. She's too old I don't want to put her threw chemo or radiation. This was her blood work
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would be hard on her. Based on the labs and the elevated values, it looks like she is experiencing some degree of kidney disease or dehydration or a little of both. You would need a urine sample to confirm, but it is somewhat expected in a cat of her age. Chemo, if even an option, would likely be harder to deal with for her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know your rite. I just feel bad that she just lays there.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I know. It tough when there is not much you can do.

If you have any questions about this down the road, yes come back to this link. You can log back into the site and go to the "my questions" section to reply at any time even after you have provided a rating. I will receive an email if you do and can respond after that.

I am glad I could help and sorry that there is not more I can offer.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.