Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My kitten is 5 months old and has had a healthy appetite and

Customer Question

My kitten is 5 months old and has had a healthy appetite and no health problems until 24 hours ago. Now he has vomited not just solids but some white liquid which looks like foam. How should I treat him until the weekend is over and I can take him to a vet?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot afford to wait longer than 10 minutes. Your initial offer did not mention anything like a day and let me assume than an answer would be immediate - that it before you requested the deposit. If there is a further delay please let me know so that I can find another source before my cat gets sicker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.Too late; please cancel my request and do not charge my credit card. If you do, I will dispute the transaction and reverse the charge.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I apologize for the wait. I just logged in and saw your question and now have it locked. I'm working on an answer now, please allow a delay of 5-10 minutes so that I can type out my thoughts. If you don't need me anymore please just disregard my answer and if at all possible don't give me a negative rating, as the rating reflects my answer and skill as a veterinarian, not the overall website. Thanks so much!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

In general, when young critters begin vomiting suddenly, my first couple of suspicions are that they caught something infectious (think stomach flu) or they ate something that did not agree with them. Both things can possibly pass on their own if given time, so I don't panic as long as they are still acting relatively OK.

It's likely the liquid you saw Milou vomit was what was left over after all the food in his stomach was gone. If he is vomiting everything that he takes in, I would hold off on giving him any food or water at all for at least a few hours to give his stomach time to settle. As long as his breathing is not labored and his gums are nice and pink and moist and he's acting relatively normally it's likely OK to continue monitoring him.

Kittens are notorious for eating strings and ribbons - if you have any suspicion that he has ingested a string, ribbon, or anything long and skinny like them, and he is continuing to vomit, this could be a life threatening emergency. If he is cooperative, you may be able to look under the base of his tongue - if you see any string stuck under there, this is an emergency, as he may have swallowed some string which could cause very severe problems. Still, though, the most likely causes of vomiting in young critters is either something infectious or something dietary.

After he's gone 6-8 hour without vomiting, I'd suggest offering him a small amount of water or ice chips (about 1/8 of a cup). If he drinks that and keeps it down for a couple of hours, you can repeat offering the water and also offer a teaspoon of food. As long as he doesn't begin to vomit again, you can continue to offer small amounts of food and water every couple of hours throughout the day. If the vomiting is continuing even after resting his system, then you should seek ER care.

If he hasn't had a full set of vaccinations, I would also have concern for a disease called panleukopenia, which causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. With panleukopenia, the symptoms likely will not let up at all and he can become dehydrated very quickly. If this is the case, then I would also suggest seeking ER care.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you - and please forgive our delay in response tonight.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara