Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience in critical care, preventative medicine, behavioral, and chronic cases in cats.
21470562

A mom and her kittens came to my backyard. The mom rejected

Customer Question

A mom and her kittens came to my backyard. The mom rejected a kitten and it seems he is having trouble breathing and is not eating. What should i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer. I will do my best to answer in detail and help with the kitten. Do you know how old the kittens are? The one that is rejected and not breathing well - are the eyes open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure about their age because they are not mine. They just showed up on my yard, but they could be about a month or so. Yes the eyes are open but sometimes look a little crusty.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** kittens walking well? Do they all look to be the same size or is this one much smaller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theyre all about the same size, except the sick one is a little skinnier . The rest of the kittens run around and jump but the sick on doesn't, he slowly walks around and look for a new place to lay down. He breathes really hard and sometimes fast.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear about the one kitten's condition. It does sound like he is pretty sick based on the behavior you are describing. There are a number of things that can make a young kitten ill, and it may just make one kitten in the litter ill, or may gradually cause all of them to be ill. I think the best thing that you could do to help this particular kitten would be to try to catch it and take him to a veterinarian or even to the local humane society. The humane society has a veterinary department to take care of the animals that are brought in, so if this is not a kitten you plan to keep or want to take financial responsibility for, then they would be the best option. If you want to keep him or just financially support his care until a home is found, then the first veterinarian you can get him to is the best option.

Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

Hello - did you have any further questions about the kitten? I hope you are able to find some help for him and that the rest of the kittens are well..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The kitten died last night
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry to hear that. I suspect that even if you were able to take him to a veterinarian yesterday they may not have been able to save him. Do the rest of the kittens look like they are doing ok? I also wondered if you had any cats of your own - I believe you said these were stray. I only ask because there are some disease risks and precautions to take if you do have pet cats. Again, I am very sorry to hear about the kitten's demise.