Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat seems to have lost some hair on its ears and back. He

Customer Question

my cat seems to have lost some hair on its ears and back. He also seems like his
nose is running. Is that something to worry about?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, please, if you've seen your cat scratching at her ears and licking/biting at her back? Can you upload photos of these areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

A runny nose may be benign as seen with irritants or allergens in the air or may represent upper respiratory infection particularly is there is supportive evidence of infection - sneezing, coughing, conjunctivitis, e.g. Less commonly, I'll find a foreign body in the nose or even neoplasia (cancer, polyps). Is the discharge clear, cloudy, discolored, or bloody?

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.