Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Cat is in distress, appears to be urinary problem. She's

Customer Question

cat is in distress, appears to be urinary problem. She's going all over house, urinating a few drops. She has always used her litter box. She can't lay down for very long.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Princess's situation. At this point, her urinary issue could be due to:

1) Urinary tract infection. When they have these, they feel like they constantly have to go. They are uncomfortable due to the irritation from it. This is something that requires a course of oral antibiotics to resolve.

2) Urinary obstruction. This is when there is a plug or stone or other issue that is causing urine to not flow as it should from the bladder out the urethra and out into the outside world. Male cats are much more prone to blockages, but females can be blocked too. This is a critical emergency if this is the cases and needs a vet to unblock them.

3) Feline lower urologic syndrome. This is inflammation of the bladder that can cause blood in the urine and straining. It isn't related to a specific infection.

My best recommendation is to get her to your vet or an ER clinic as she needs to be evaluated with a physical exam and urine sample to see which of the above is going on and then what needs to be done to help her be more comfortable. Please hit reply to let me know what questions this brings up.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Betty,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?