Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My pet Siamese had been diagnosed with cancer in s lungs. I

Customer Question

My pet Siamese had been diagnosed with cancer in his lungs. I brought him home to keep him comfortable in my bedroom watching for signs my Vet gave me to monitor for taking him in to be euthanized. His breathing was labored and he would not eat but drank water and urinate. However, I came home and found him dead out of the room in my laundry room. Blood was coming from his mouth. I don't know what happened. He had been hiding..??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B and wanted to help you in this very sad situation.

I am so sorry to hear that Riley has passed away. Lung cancer can cause situations like this. This is because as the tumor spreads it erodes and destroys the normal tissue. And if that tumor does this where a large vessel lies, this can cause a sudden and severe bleed into the lungs. The animal quickly feels weak, may seek an out of the way place (as they know they are passing), loses consciousness and passes away. In these situations, we oftten find blood from the mouth and/or nose as it had been pooling in lungs and comes up after they pass. So, in this case, he likely felt he was going to pass out and fade away. And your discovery of him in the laundry room is just part of that kitty instinct to go somewhere quiet, secure and safe to pass on.

Please take care,

Dr. B.