Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I my male cat has a slightly bigger teat and its black also

Customer Question

i my male cat has a slightly bigger teat and its black also under the skinn too i hope it isnt cancer as i dont want to lose him he is 4-5 years old. its not bleeding or bothering him he eating drinking energetic but just worried about this slightly enlarged
black teat. i only just spotted it as he is long hair so its slightly hard to find unless you feel for the lump
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara - I know that finding a new lump or bump on your furry friend can send a chill up your spine! Take a deep breath and know that it'll be OK :)

While lumps and bumps in the mammary chain have the potential to be malignant, it's unusual in a male cat. They can normally have variation in size and appearance of their nipples, so I wouldn't panic yet. In general, if a bump is so small that owners are having trouble finding it, I am less concerned. I'll do a cytology on anything that's bigger than about the size of a pea - which is where I collect a small sample of the tissue with a needle and look at it under the microscope.

I would call your vet as soon as you can, but it's not likely to be an emergency. Once they get a look at it they will be able to give you a better idea of what they think it is.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Felix. How is everything going?
Doc Sara