Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 11 week old kitten keeps sneezing and randomly vomiting

Customer Question

Hi... my 11 week old kitten keeps sneezing and randomly vomiting brownish liquid. ... He is absolutely fine in him self....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Casper had these signs?

Does he have any discharge from his eyes or nose? What color?

Does he sound congested?

Can he keep food and water down for the most part?

Any diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts on what you have told me so far about Casper. If you are able to answer those questions I asked when you return that would be grand but I do hope my thoughts will shed some light on his situation and what you can do to help him.

Now if the vomiting is intermittent, then I do think it is a side effect of his throat being inflamed alongside those respiratory signs. This is not uncommon to see when our cats have contracted an upper respiratory tract infection. Just to note, other signs we can see include sneezing, congestion, watery eyes,nasal discharge, lethargy, drooling (as the viruses can cause oral ulcers),sleeping more, and sometimes inappetence. (Really its like when we have flu).

To start, if the nausea is not frequent, then we’d want to focus on his respiratory signs as these will likely settle once we address the primary issue. Still, if he is nauseous or struggling, you can consider trying him an antacid. Examples of those OTC antacids that we commonly use in cats include:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

*Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Whichever you choose, we tend to offer these 20 minutes before food. And just to note if we did see a decline in his appetite, then I would note that warming the food or offering smelly wet foods can be of benefit here. This is because congested kitties that cannot smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should.

Now we need tackle those flu signs. To start, if you are seeing snotty discharge,then that is a clue that bacteria are present and antibiotics would be indicated. Otherwise, supportive care will be the mainstay of our treatment for him.

If he is sneezing and congested you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces (but you can often make little ‘steam tents’ with Casper in his carrier with these and a sheet).

Furthermore,if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally,since herpes is a concern with these signs, I would note that you could consider supplementing him with L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter as a gel or powder at most pet stores, vets, and even online. An average cat dose is 500mga day and this can be mixed into food to dose.

Overall, Casper's signs are most suggestive of a respiratory infection that is causing some vomiting due to irritation in the throat. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to soothe his signs. Of course, any snotty discharge or increase in his vomiting, then we'd want to have a check with his local vet. They will be able to start him on antibiotics +/- kitty safe decongestants to soothe his signs and get him back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi... I didn't receive your first response so apologies. ..
He hasn't got runny eyes or runny poo and is still eating although I have just removed the food because that seems to be the reactor.... its not cheap rubbish either...no signs of congestion or anything.... The only difference in his behaviour is that he has found great comfort in a throw on the sofa which he behaves in a way as a suckling kitten and I have given him bottled water rather than tap water because of the scare of that bug in waters close to us... I just don't understand... He is fine running around and being a kitten then he just throws up mid play which scares us both....Thank you.... (ps are you Irish - just with the way you wrote your response)Thanks
Stacey
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Stacey,

No worries about that. In regards ***** ***** being well despite his signs, this isn't uncommon. It is because they often do not feel poorly (and thus act poorly) until they start to get dehydrated. In any case, I would still use the above for his sneezing but if he has diarrhea, you can put him on a light diet for the short term. Examples of what we can feed is boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). All of these are easy to digest and will be better tolerated by his stomach but also reduce the runniness of his stool. And if we use that with the antacid, we should be able to reduce that nausea and vomiting for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.