Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Lost one kitten,mom and other baby kitten and our dog he is

Customer Question

Lost one kitten,mom and other baby kitten and our dog he is a schitzew are real weak act as though cant walk .We sprayed indoor,outdoor flea and tick med. Cant get ahold of vet.they are real shakey and act as though something is messing with their heads
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your pets.

It sounds like you are seeing something called a Pyrethrin Toxicity. These flea meds can be toxic in cats, and to a lesser degree in some dogs. It causes muscle tremors and seizures.

Your best option is to use a 24 hour ER vet in the area. They can give injections of a muscle relaxant (Methocarbamol) to control the signs. These animals typically require 12-24 hours of hospitalization to get it to resolve fully. It carries a good prognosis with appropriate care. Without treatment, it can be fatal.

At home, there's not much you can do. You can bathe them to remove any of the toxin. Make sure you use a dish soap (Dawn dish soap) when bathing. This will remove the oily substance and prevent further exposure. They really need the muscle relaxant, though, to get it to resolve.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ,do you believe my pets will be ok until morning
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I don't like to wait on these guys. The sooner you can get them seen, the better the chance of survival. They can tremor pretty bad and end up dying from hyperthermia. That's why I prefer to treat asap.