Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat gets strange lumps of tissue that loosen and fall off

Customer Question

my cat gets strange lumps of tissue that loosen and fall off with hair in summer. In past vet has treated successfully with simplex. This summer, he is not responding, just had a round of med, and now they are appearing on his face and look as though they are rather large. what should I do? The vet has cultured them in past also, and she said nothing really showed up.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm sorry that Scamper is having some troubles - I know that it can be frustrating when we can't sort out what is going on.

In general if I have a cat with odd skin lesions that don't respond to my first round of treatment, the next thing I discuss is collecting tissue samples to send out to the lab for biopsy. There are a wide variety of things that can cause lumps and bumps on cats, a biopsy is how you get an answer. Once we know what the lumps are, then we can put together a better more specific course of treatment. They can be bacterial, fungal, or plain inflammatory. Not all bacteria show up on a standard culture - especially the "odd" ones that can cause nodular lesions or draining tracts. These types of bacteria need to be grown in a special environment on special types of media.

If biopsies aren't an option, sometimes I will do a trial of steroids, however this can be risky. Steroids would alleviate any kind of inflammatory problem, but I caution owners that they carry risks such as increasing the risk for diabetes and heart problems.

I hope that this helps - please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions!

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the concise, clear reply.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcomed! Please let me know if I can help again.

If you were satisfied with my service, please kindly give me a rating. Thanks!!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rhonda Kirk,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara