PetDoctor2005
PetDoctor2005, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years
65926376

There are skinny dried things on the bed where the cat

Customer Question

There are skinny brown dried things on the bed where the cat sleeps, is that worms?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PetDoctor2005 replied 1 year ago.

Possibly. Cats can leave tapeworm segments on bedding/areas where he lays. Tapeworm segments (when dried) are tan in color and can either look like small sesame seeds or flat rice-like. Cats get tapeworms from either ingesting a flea or eating a mouse. Take a look at the attached picture and if it looks similar to what you are seeing, then your cat needs deworming medication for tapeworms. This can either be obtained from your veterinarian, or over-the-counter in some pet stores. If your cat is not a hunter, then I would recommend you treat your cat (and other pets in the house) for fleas. If they do NOT look like that attached picture, then I don't think what you are seeing is coming from your cat's intestine. Let me know if this helps, I would be happy to clarify further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that isn't it, my cat had tape worms before so I'm familiar with what it looks like. This is about 1/2" long, .it's thin and brown. I'm finding them on bedding and in carpet. I brought them to the vet yesterday with a stool sample. Thanks for your help.

Were they able to identify them for you? Hope so! Love the name Pretzel!

Hi Jill,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PetDoctor2005