Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has stopped eating. Is drooling, sleeping all day and

Customer Question

My cat has stopped eating. Is drooling, sleeping all day and lethargic. What does this sound like to you? He also feels warm
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he has a fever and and oral ulcers (to cause the drooling). This is usually due to a viral infection- Calici Virus is the most likely. They can also have secondary bacterial infections. If you want to check a temperature, you can use a digital thermometer and take a rectal temp. Normal is 100-102. A fever is > 103.

The treatment is usually with some fluids to rehydrate- just something under the skin or Sub Q fluids. I also like to put them on an antibiotic (Clavamox or Doxycycline) and an anti-inflammatory (Onsior or Metacam). The combination usually breaks the fever and gets them back to normal pretty quickly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?