petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a 9 year old cat male. well he is over weight and I

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old cat male. well he is over weight and I cant get his weight down with a half cop dry food. and I use blue food. now he goes into a coughing fit when he move to fast or just when he gets happy. he has stiff hips and it hurts him. the cough is hard for me to hear. sound deep in the lungs like water in thier
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Chow today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

The first and most important thing you need to do is to find out why she is coughing. These symptoms can be a sign of pulmonary or heart disease and should be evaluated by with a thorough physical exam including evaluation of the heart and lung sounds. Cardiac causes can include heartworm as well as heart valve or heart muscle disease called cardiomyopathy. Lung disease can include bronchitis, pneumonia, parasites or even asthma which can be serious if not identified and treated. There really are no effective home treatments until we have a better idea of what is causing the cough.

Secondly, it sounds as his weight is contributing to his symptoms (it is not however the cause of his cough). I would talk to your vet about ideas on how to decrease his weight. This is often easily accomplished by getting him off of dry food and switching to a wet food only diet. Dry cat foods have far too many carbohydrates for a cat and can lead to weight gain.

Hopefully your vet will help to identify the cause of the cough and help to get him to a healthy weight so that he will be feeling better soon.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I buy the dry food too make it easyer for me. had 4 cats when one died in my arms so I got down in their food they eat. that was 3 years ago so chow is the big one and all cats just gets a cup that I pass out. my other cat are doing good but chow has is weight. his cough reminds me of cosmo and how he died. how little do I feed them? on wet food what I give them.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You really need to start with a physical exam to get to the bottom of why he is coughing. After the exam, your vet will be able to tell you his body score and how much he should weigh. That will help to determine what and how much to feed of wet or dry food.